Monday, June 29, 2009

ABC's and 1,2,3's

I used to worry about my son not having interest on identifying alphabet and numbers while other playmates his age can identify them very well already. I read in the book "What to Expect the Toddler Yeas" that children who can recognize letters and numbers before school may only enjoy temporary edge from other kids. Studies show they don't retain it, as other students quickly catch up. Not having interest in academics at age 2 or 3 does not in any way suggest that a child won't be a good student. Don't belittle a child if he isn't ready to count or learn the alphabet. There's plenty of time ahead for these before first grade. Make learning fun and exciting, like my son and I count together when climbing stairs. Let toddler be and enjoy as he is, but stimulate learning by talking, reading, and counting with them.


2 comments:

  1. Every kid develops differently. I let my daughter enjoy her time as a kid coz when school starts she'll be obliged to learn whatever task is given her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes .....
    Every kid develops differently.

    ___________________
    Julie
    Apply now Nation wide cash

    ReplyDelete